Why Vizioneer?

My photo
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
The "Vizioneer" comes from mashing two words that have shaped my world for most of my adult life - Engineer and [data] Visualizations (or Vizes to those who know what's up). Graduating from first from Oglethorpe University in Atlanta, followed by Georgia Tech with my Bachelors and Masters in Civil Engineering, all of which taught me to think through anything and everything - problem solving, "engineering" solutions, teaching to the "ah ha" moments - is what I love to do. In 2010 that investigative, engineering mindset intersected a job change and a plunge into the world of Data Analysis. In the search for the next great thing I stumbled on to a data visualization and dashboarding product called Tableau software and things just took off. So now I guess you could call me that engineer with the sweet data visualizations - or just "The Vizioneer" :)

In 2013, I joined the incredible team at Slalom, focusing on Tableau and it's been an amazing experience. Recently in 2014, I was honored and humbled to receive Tableau's highest recognition of being named a Tableau Zen Master. Follow along to see what happens next :)

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

If Hans Rosling could dunk....

I know there are many who enjoy my excitement to see that Hans Rosling is going to be one of the keynote speakers for #TCC14.  I've told many people that his video in "The Joy of Stats" on "200 Countries 200 Years in 4 minutes" is possibly the greatest data visualization in the last 100 years.  Of course the data is great, but Hans has an amazing way of bringing it to life.  For me, he's an inspiration both as an analyst and a speaker and I can't wait to see him in person!

To celebrate I, and a few Slalom Consulting friends of mine, have created some Hans Rosling inspired dashboards.  Below you can see the work that Peter Gilks (yep, THAT Peter Gilks!) and I put together on performance of NBA Franchises over time.  The bubbles are the logos of the NBA teams and the X and Y Axis are changeable - which is so very 'GapMinder'!

Please check it out!



2 comments:

  1. This is what I heard the other day when I was leaving my gym.

    Two girls were chilling near the basketball court at the back of my gym complex. They were watching a 3-on-3 game which abruptly ended when the biggest guy decided to jump straight up, knock the defender flat on his ass and dunk on him while he was laying sprawled on the blacktop.

    That's when the blonde cheekily whispered this confession to her smoking-hot Asian friend in pink sweatpants:

    "Nothing's hotter than a guy who can dunk."

    And can you guess what the Asian hottie replied? She whimpered:

    "Uh huhhh!"

    This got me thinking. I mean, for as long as I can remember I've always wanted to dunk. It's been a lifelong dream of mine, but I really had no idea girls found it hot. I guess it makes sense though since most people have this belief you need to be the most athletic dude around to be able to jump that high.

    But the fact is that's just not true anymore.

    Breakthrough research has surfaced recently about the exact 'levers' which allow people to jump ridiculously high. So naturally, 2 genius basketball players took this research and used it to transform regular guys who can't even touch the rim into dudes who can dunk with 2 hands every time and with ease.

    One of these geniuses is a pro basketball player and the other is the world's highest dunker (I think it's safe to say they know what they're doing LOL) They're getting a ton of media hype these days and blowing up on Youtube so I thought I'd let you know about them.

    And it's great timing too since they've just released all their crazy vert jump body hacks and techniques. They've been teaching people this stuff in secret for years but now it's available to the public in a badass program.

    > Here's the link to it: <

    It's pretty crazy stuff so check it out.

    ReplyDelete